Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Erie Grill (Oyster Special)

MMMMMMMmmm

Turn Ons:
Atmosphere/Canal View 
Intimacy
Quick Service
Great Happy Hour Specials and Prices (5-7)
Great Mignonette sauce
Salt Chips

Turn Offs:
Small Space
Boring Fries

Summary:
This review will focus on Erie Grill's Oyster special, as we are taking the week to go to an Oyster Special every day and compare them. But we are also touching on other items, as well.

Pulling into the Del Monte parking lot in Pittsford already has a certain kind of elegance about it and you know its going to attract the well-to-do crowd.  The Erie Grill is just as (if not, more) elegant as the Del Monte.  So, dress nicely.

We arrived right at the beginning of their two-hour long happy hour.  There were already a few guests at the bar.  I suspect most are hotel guests, so I would peg this as a good place to meet someone who might be out on their own.  As we people-watched, we sure spotted a few singles getting to know each other at the bar.

They have a very nice cocktail selection and use top-quality liqueur.  I ordered two of the Carmel Vanillas, as soon as I saw that they were made with Black Button Bourbon Cream.  So good!  It is a dessert in a glass.  So, that's healthier than normal dessert, right?

We ordered 5 of each $1 oyster right away for a total of 15 oysters.  They came out very quickly, which I appreciated.  I suspect that they pre-shuck some of the oysters and put them on ice.  Because, let's be honest: on Oyster Special Night, you can expect to go through a certain amount of oysters.  So, I really appreciated the quick turn-around.  We didn't notice any degradation in quality due to any suspected pre-shucking, so we really like the idea.

I will say that they only had 3 types of oysters to select from, and I'm not sure that someone wants to order "Little Bitches" while eating at a fancy restaurant.  Yes, that was the name of one of the oysters.  Also, all three of the oysters tasted similar to each other.  They were good, but there wasn't very much variance in flavor. As far as oyster selection, Erie Grill comes in above most oyster specials, but behind Lento.  I will say that their mignonette sauce that is served with the oysters is my favorite that I've had so far.

They have a nice 2 for $20 Happy Hour Special where you can order any two of four available entrees for $20.  The Bison Sliders were dry, but the avocado helped to hide that.  I'll take a second to state that if I'm going to make sliders, I'm going to make them out of a fattier meat to keep them moist.  The small sliders cook the middle too quickly for something as lean as bison meat.  That's probably why they added the avocado.  I say if you're going to make a bison burger, make a bison burger instead of multiple small sliders.  The pretzel bun was probably my favorite pretzel bun I've ever had.  It was very lightly toasted just enough to help bring out the sugars but not so much as to blacken it.  It was also moist and springy enough where I didn't feel like I was biting into concrete, which can happen with pretzel buns.  The fries were boring.  They tried to dress them up with a sauce, but it wasn't working.  Now, their salt chips are delicious!  Get those.  And they're only $1 during happy hour!  The flatbread is a nice healthier and non-meat option, but there wasn't much flavor to it and that was also a bit boring.  The goat cheese was too strong of a flavor, since there really weren't any other strong flavors on the pallet.  But, Melisa doesn't mind goat cheese as much as I do.

We will definitely be back to Erie Grill.  We decided that we'll probably arrive during happy hour on a Monday.  We'll each order a cocktail and order ~15 oysters.  We'll order the salt chips, and split the 2 for $20.

We hope you get the chance to enjoy this very elegant restaurant, the beautiful view of the canal, and the many flavors available to you.  There are a few short-comings, but it is sure to be a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment