Friday, April 29, 2016

Swiftwater Brewing Co.

MMMMMMMMMm

Turn Ons:
Beer Flight
Extremely impressive service and staff
High quality and unique... everything

Turn Offs:
Out of the way for walking (I'm really reaching to find something I don't like, here)



Swiftwater has been in the South Wedge for a while now, and we've been hearing rave reviews from our friends.  It took us far too long to get there, but Swiftwater Brewing did not disappoint.

At first glance, it sort of looks like an industrial building.  If I had never heard of Swiftwater before, I might not have stopped (not knowing what was inside the building).  Being located on Mt. Hope instead of a place like South Ave hurts their potential pedestrian traffic, but you sort of get the feeling that they like a more intimate atmosphere, anyway.  Across the street is the Ford St. Bridge, so the foot traffic isn't non-existent.  We still walked a few blocks to get there.  The large (looks like stainless steel?) pots/fermenters/or other beer-making containers dominate your vision when you walk in, pleasantly.  Then, you bring your sight down to the gorgeous wood bar that clearly was made with love and skill.  It was too cold when we were there, but they have outdoor seating and a big garage-style door that opens to the high ceiling in warmer weather.  This gets packed in the summer! Unique artwork hangs on the walls, and seems to also be for sale.  It has a very nice micro-brewery feel with just a twinge of hipster.

We had our choice of sitting at the bar, a tall table, or a typical dining table.  We didn't want to take up bar space since we would be eating, so we found a tall table near the bar.  Thankfully, it had a menu already on the table, just like the other empty tables had.  It was nice to not have to wait or require interaction with the staff to see a menu.  We also could clearly see the beer and specials on the portrait-style chalk board behind the bar.  Although, it was a little low, which made it difficult to see the lower beers on the list through patrons' heads.  They keep two "guest" beers on tap, so we could try other local breweries.  Cool.  Later, we found out that they really just cycle in-and-out their beer as the kegs kick it.  So, you're getting really fresh beer; and you can taste it.

We settled on selecting a food item, each; and we selected 4 different beers each for two flights.  I saw at the bottom of the menu to please order at the bar.  The bar was at about 75% capacity, so I could find an empty seat to catch the bar-tender's eye.  (Mike speaking, here) My biggest gripe about bars is that I always feel like the bar tender(s) couldn't care less if I got my drink, and I hate fighting for their attention.  So, what happened next, really struck a chord with me: The bar tender nearest me, who was already helping a couple, saw me waiting as soon as I arrived at the bar from our nearby table.  He turned to call his colleague, and asked his colleague to make sure I was seen to.  This was the FIRST time this has ever happened to me.  Wait.... he CARES about me?!  This goes against my every bar experience.  Anyway.... the colleague dropped what he was doing and came to see what we needed and he promptly took our orders.  We headed back to our table with our flights and two glasses of water to enjoy ourselves until our food came. Don't forget a glass of water, friends.  In addition to keeping you hydrated, it slows your rate of alcohol consumption (This saves you money and potentially embarrassing Youtube hits).  AND, if you're doing a flight, it cleanses your pallet in-between tastes, so your last beer doesn't impact the flavor of your next beer.

The atmosphere was relaxing, with vinyl playing at an appropriate level.  We found out later that on Thursdays, you can bring your own vinyl to play from behind the bar.

So, we're tasting our flights.  Reading the menu, most of their beers lean toward the IPA and hoppy end of the spectrum.  Just to be clear; that was how the menu read.  But, when drinking the beer, there was a beer for every pallet on the menu.  We tried to get some tastes from all around the menu, but we just don't like strong IPAs.  So, no; we didn't get their Double IPA.  Save your complaints.  The beer that we did try was good.  The selection was diverse.  Something for everyone.  And they did a great job with each style of beer.  I know I really enjoyed my lighter beers, I did get an IPA and enjoyed it, the Amber Ale was flavorful, and not being a "Porter Guy", I thought there was a lot of flavor in the porters without them being too strong, if that even makes any sense.  I enjoyed the Grapefruit and the Sour.  Even the beers that were styles that I wouldn't choose for myself: if someone bought me a pint, I would still happily drink it.  I can't say that about every IPA or Porter I've had.  Bottom line is... the beer is good.  Try a flight and pick out what you like the most.  Maybe you won't love one of the four, but I bet you'll find one that you do thoroughly enjoy, and you probably won't turn many of them down.

Then, our food came.  Wow... delish!  The meat was sourced from just around the corner.  Yes, literally; in the South Wedge, too.  And the medium-rare burger kept that moist-but-not-soggy flavor.  The pickles were crunchy and scrumptious.  I can't speak to the tomato, because I asked to go without.  Sorry if you love tomatoes. Melisa added bacon to her grilled cheese and that was another party in the mouth.  The pan fried potatoes reminded us of really well-prepared home fries.  YUM!  The portions were just right, too.

Then, the first bar tender swung by to make sure we were enjoying everything.  He took the time to tell us a little history and facts about the place.  It is easy to see that the staff is really tight-knit, and they really love what they do.  They truly want their customers to enjoy themselves.  And they make darn great beer and food!

The price is good for the area, right where you'd expect it to be. Not cheap, but not going to break the bank, either.

Swiftwater gives you the feeling that a bunch of friends came together with many different skills, and put them all together to create a poetic brewery and bar.  Everywhere, are signs of thoughtfulness, care, skill, originality, and love.

If you want to try new beer, especially local beer; get to Swiftwater.  You'll be glad you did.  The quality of the food and drink is incredible, and the employees are even better.  You'll leave with a smile, and you get the feeling that's what they're truly aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment